New laptop tries to avoid using old AOL.

sqn08 15:21 04 Oct 08

Just brought a new laptop. Travelling to Canada on Sunday for work.Trying to set it up.
I am testing the connection to the interent at my home office via the Internet explorer browser software installed on it. It has a RJ11 modem (dial up on back) Lead works.

Cant seem to setup a working connection.
I use AOL broadband on home desktop.
Removed all cables connecting via the USB BT 100 Voyager broadband modem, and connected the new laptop directly into phone line.

Cannot connect.
Entered dial phone number as my own. Get BT saying I cantnot check messages without dialling 1571.

Do i need to install AOl on new laptop, I was hoping to avoid it?
Will I have the same trouble at the hotel Im travelling to?
Is there no way to connect to the internet at home via the BT line without using AOL?

tullie 15:29 04 Oct 08

I dont know a thing about AOL,but you dont usually need to install ISP software,as i understand it,you want to use dialup not broadband,is that correct?

sqn08 15:36 04 Oct 08

I just want to be able to access the interent without resortint to using AOL Broadband. Is that possible?

provider 2 15:39 04 Oct 08

Scroll down for dial-up:

click here

sqn08 15:48 04 Oct 08

ok
Just a question before I do this so i understand what im doing.

Do i need to install aol on laptop,(which Im trying to avoid)?

Or can I access the internet without theuse of AOL at all?

I do not understand the ISP thing? is there no seperate way without getting AOL innvolved, when Im anywhere in the world?

feb 16:06 04 Oct 08

you will need to install the modem drivers but do not need to install the AOL software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…