New laptop struggling to add to wireless internet

crawfordscracker 21:45 25 Oct 09

My 1st post and I'm not the most technical so simple answers please..... I have Tiscali broadband with a Thomson TG585 router, we have a main computer and 2 lap tops connected to it no problem. I have just bought a new Dell notebook (on windows XP) & am struggling to find a way to connect it. It has no disc drive, which is how we connected the other 2 lap tops to it and when I'm trying to set a new connection as it asks. Its says to put in a flash drive, which it does ok and transfers the data but the next step is to plug it into the router which should flash its lights 3 times before I then plug back into the notebook. Only problem is the router has no usb socket - so V stuck. I've tried various things and to see if it can just be in range to register the wirless options available but no luck. Hope someone can help me!

mgmcc 08:00 26 Oct 09

If there is a switch to toggle the Laptop's "wireless" On/Off, make sure it is On.

Open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the "Wireless Network Connection" and select "View Available Wireless Networks".

Select your network from the list displayed (which will include those of any close neighbours with active wireless networks) and click the Connect button at the foot of the window.

You will be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and should then connect to the network. (It might be called a 'network' key.)

Although a CD may be helpful when initially configuring a router, it isn't required to connect additional computers once it has been set up.

crawfordscracker 19:57 26 Oct 09

Thanks for that MGMCC - it seems to be along the right path but it is now saying "windows cannot configure this wireless connection" - If you want windows to configure this wireless connection, start the wireless zero configuration, see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base - which I did and it may as well be Greek. Can you cast a simple light on this for me please?

mgmcc 20:49 26 Oct 09

The wireless networking can be controlled either by the software provided with the Wireless Network Adapter, or with Windows' own software, which is the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service.

If you've enabled the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service, then you should be able to connect to your wireless network following the procedure outlined in my earlier message.

What actually happens if you check for Available Wireless Networks, highlight yours and then click the Connect button?

Ashrich 00:14 27 Oct 09

Start/programs/Dell wireless manager , open the Dell wireless program , and either search and connect from there , or I think there may be a small box you can tick to hand over the wireless management to Windows .( I believe the the Dell app can also be found in Control Panel )

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…