New laptop - sound rubbish

ethelene 19:44 12 Jul 05

I have just bought a new laptop and am very disappointed in the sound - the level in very low, I can hardly hear it - even with headphones.

I have ramped the volume to full via Windows Control and it is still the same.

I phoned the retailer and he said all laptops have a nasty tinny sound with low volume.

Is this right?

It is an Acer Aspire.

Jackcoms 19:47 12 Jul 05

"I phoned the retailer and he said all laptops have a nasty tinny sound with low volume.

Is this right?"

Yes

Jackcoms 19:48 12 Jul 05

To add to my last post - if you want good sound from a laptop add external speakers to it.

ethelene 19:50 12 Jul 05

Thanks - am sorely disappointed!

Also - am ticked off because the router that my retailer assured me is so easy to install is very complicated and I can't do it!

Arrgggghh!

Sorry - enough ranting.

ethelene 19:52 12 Jul 05

Jackcoms - added external speakers and had to wear them like headphones to hear anything!

Mind you - they are not good quality speakers.

What can I do?

De Marcus 19:56 12 Jul 05

Are you sure everything is turned up to the max? via the control panel, the icon in the corner and the actual button or slider on the laptop (if it has one).

Make sure your sound hardware is accelerated to full via the sound icon in device manager.

ethelene 19:59 12 Jul 05

Hi de marcus - yes, everything is set to maximum. There is no actual volume button or slider on the laptop but I have adjusted all internal settings.

De Marcus 20:00 12 Jul 05

Have you run the dxdiag tests?

ethelene 20:03 12 Jul 05

No de Marcus - I haven't. I did the strange test for the microphone.

How do I do that, and what does it do?

De Marcus 20:04 12 Jul 05

start, run and type in: dxdiag then hit enter, run all the sound tests and post back.

It tests your sound card and can help pinpoint problems

De Marcus 20:05 12 Jul 05

P.S. run the tests under the headings 'sound' & 'Music'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…