new laptop set up / configuration

mrdavidrussell 19:39 21 Aug 05

Hi,

Any hints/ tips on laptop configuration? got a new laptop arriving -60Gb HDD. I was going to partition it into 2 drives - a 20 and a 40. sounds reasonable? is there anything else that its wise to do now before the laptop starts getting used? any advice well received.

cheers,

david

Completealias 19:44 21 Aug 05

Look after the battery make sure you charge it fully and discharge it fully the first couple of times. Then if you are going to use the laptop plugged in most of the time remove the battery and store it with about 2/3rds charge then once a month use the battery.

Doing this will keep your battery in tip top condition and mean you get the most life from it as possible.

woodchip 20:00 21 Aug 05

If you only go out with the laptop for odd occasion then run the laptop without the battery in, put it in a plastic bag and put in fridge not freezer to stop it discharging you battery will last a lot longer just use when you need to. That's what I do, a new battery for my laptop approx. every two years is £155. Just run it on mains

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…