NEW LAPTOP, ROUTER AND BROADBAND ADVICE NEEDED

REDALEX261 18:16 18 Dec 06

I'm getting a laptop as a present, and as I don't currently have an internet connection at home need some (very basic) advice.

1 - do I have to buy the router/modem with the broadband provider, or is it cheaper to buy one from a PC store? Or, do some providers insist you purchase router/modem from them?

2 - If I buy a router from a store would this make getting connected happen more quickly? (I have been told router delivery is the reason for delayed connection)

3 - as far as internet access/additional equipment is concerned, does it matter what brand/status of laptop I'm getting?

4 - Tiny flat - wireless or "wired"? Should this matter to me?

As you can see, I'm not interested in the stuff under the bonnet, I just want to be able to access the internet and download stuff etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jackcoms 19:05 18 Dec 06

1). Most ISPs provide a 'free' modem as part of their package

2). See 1

3). No

4). I prefer wired. Wireless
connections can 'drop out' or suffer from interference from other radio/electrical sources

skidzy 19:05 18 Dec 06

1) Some isp's provide the modem router,but you may have to purchase your own.

2) Once you have verified with an isp,your connection can become active anything from the same day to 10 days normally.

3) Plenty of deals for laptops at the moment,ive bought this yesterday click here and value for money will take some beaten.

4) Is there a reason why a laptop ? are you going to be using this on the move IE work/travelling etc.

You can get a lot more for the money with a desktop.

If in a tiny flat,maybe wireless would be a good bet with a laptop,reducing the clutter of a desk.

Hope this answers your question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5