New laptop refuses to connect wirelessly

medicine hat 18:37 29 Dec 05

Hi. Hope someone can help me with this cos it is driving me mad. Just purchased a new laptop, Acer Aspire 1654WLMi, which refuses to connect to my wireless router. It can see the network as in desperation I have removed all the security settings (SSID is broadcasting, MAC filtering is disabled, no WEP etc). Yet it refuses to connect. Actually, that is not entirely true as the router's log shows that occasionally it connects but within 1 to 5 seconds it has disconnected again. Signal strength is also not a problem as it is now only about 3 feet from the router!! Oh and the firewall is off just in case. What is wrong with the thing? Any suggestions on settings to check? Many thanks

palinka 18:49 29 Dec 05

To start with the obvious - I suppose it has got suitable hardware for connecting to router?

medicine hat 19:10 29 Dec 05

It is centrino - Integrated IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

palinka 19:16 29 Dec 05

was the router working OK before? (it sounds like you originally had a different computer) Or is it a new router - which may be faulty.

medicine hat 19:21 29 Dec 05

No problems with router (3com office connect) - I've had it a while and it works fine.

palinka 13:28 30 Dec 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…