New Laptop purchase ideas.

sean-278262 21:48 18 Jan 08

Hi everyone. Unusual for me to ask for advice. However I have a budget of £800 for a new laptop. Maybe stretching to £900 for something that may be a better option.

Ideally I want something with as powerful a graphics card as I can get.

It must be a 15.4widescreen. Has to have over 100GB of hard disk space. Any extras such as camera and what not are not vital but would make it more useful.

I have seen in Tesco this ( click here )Samsung r70 for £600 however I want to know can anyone suggest a machine for up to £900 that will have better spec for my money. The more I get now the longer it will be before I have to get another replacement in the future I feel.

Any comments or advice gratefully welcomed as I want to ensure I buy the best and have been out of the whats hot and whats not in terms of laptops for about a year now.

click here to start you off

sean-278262 22:25 18 Jan 08

Cheers Raven. Looks good. Part of me is hoping that I can get as much power as is available on the budget I have. Any suggestions or advice is also welcomed. Forgot to also say a 3 hour minimum battery life is also required.

SANTOS7 22:30 18 Jan 08

click here

this may help...

sean-278262 02:23 19 Jan 08

Hi again everyone. Considering myself getting this machine.

click here

For some reason I cannot seem to access the page on their site at the moment.

I have been looking around and trying to find a laptop with an 8600m GT as I know it is a lot more powerful than the 8600m GS this has. However it has a 320GB hdd, 2gb ram, vista ultimate, a 2 year warranty and several bundled extras like a mouse and bag for it.

Can anyone find anything better than this out there with maybe a little more pep.

Sadly I have had to discount dell as the XPS 1530 only offers 3 USB ports and ends up more expensive than this even without an extra warranty. Even if it does have the extra power in the graphics 70GB of space extra is quite useful.

Cheers for the link Santos, sadly I couldnt find any specifications for battery life even from them themselves.

If anyone can offer any better options in terms of graphics I welcome the offer. Many thanks for all the help so far. Look forward to some more suggestions.

sean-278262 02:27 19 Jan 08

Actually this is the link. Firefox just required a reboot.

click here

sean-278262 11:27 19 Jan 08

Just a quick bump to see if anyone can make any better suggestions.

SANTOS7 11:32 19 Jan 08

Specs arn't too shabby, looks like a nice piece of kit if i were buying a lappy i would certainly consider this one..

wjrt 12:25 19 Jan 08

click here
8600m GT graphics and save money

wjrt 12:42 19 Jan 08

just to check went on to Dell site searched for vostro 1700 and they came up with a much better spec for £622 so worth a look model 1700(NO117012) core 2 duo at 2.2mz 360GB HDD 3GB ram camera 8600 GT etc

sean-278262 13:10 19 Jan 08

Sadly WJRT that laptop has a 17inch screen. I need the weight to be around 3kg with a 15inch screen as I already have a laptop bag and backpack designed for 15.4inch widescreens. I really need it to still be portable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…