New laptop problem

dontaskme 23:25 04 Jul 03

My acer 803lcib arrived today, but i haven't been able to get it to start up. The fan starts for about 3-5 seconds and then stops. the power light stays green.

I have tried troubleshooting, but not sure where or what the problem is.

VoG II 23:29 04 Jul 03

Assuming that it is brand new, send it back! It is not of merchantable quality - i.e. it does not work. Insist that the supplier pays the cost of carriage as well.

dontaskme 23:37 04 Jul 03

Have you any idea what the problem could be?

I'm not sure whether it is power saving problem, or maybe a faulty/loose hard drive. I'm not going to mess with it, but am reluctant to send it back unless it is absolutely necessary.

caast ©? 23:40 04 Jul 03

This may be a silly question but is the battery fully charged.

will it start up with the ac connector attached

VoG II 23:41 04 Jul 03

I can think of various things but that's not the point! You've been supplied with something that does not work and in law - whether it is a 'puter or an egg timer - you are entitled to a replacement or your money back.

dontaskme 23:47 04 Jul 03

It's with the adaptor in.

3 reasons why i would rather fix it. 1) I don't enjoy the "It's not our fault" argument 2) I need it working for next week and don't trust them to get it back in time. 3) I'm hoping it's a simple problem, in which case i don't need to send it back.

Steven135 23:54 04 Jul 03

Have you tried adjusting the brightness level using the FN switch?

VoG II 23:54 04 Jul 03

OK, this is my last post on the subject:

It sounds to me like a hardware problem - maybe just a loose connection. Not easy to identify or fix in a laptop. Plus, opening the case will invalidate the warranty ... are you getting my drift? Send it back!

Steven135 23:57 04 Jul 03

Sorry clutching at straws here but have you checked the F5 ket to make sure its not set to external monitor?

Steven135 23:59 04 Jul 03

Sorry you have to press FN and F5 to gether to toggle between screen and external monitor.

Kryten 00:00 05 Jul 03

With a Laptop you plug in battery - then the AC adapter & turn on the mains where it is plugged in - lift up the lid - press the on button for about 3-5 second and it will boot up. If it does not there is a fault. With the paperwork you received with it there should be a trouble shooting guide with steps to take. If not or they do not work the only other option it to contact the vendor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…