New laptop - people's opinion/advise?

r3n 17:15 04 Nov 07

I'm looking for a laptop for under £1000 to replace my desktop & for mobility. I'd like good memory (I use quite a few greedy applications), a 17" monitor (for movies & games), and a kick ass graphics card - hoping to be able to run Crysis with more than the minimum graphics set up. I've found this laptop at cyberpowersystem.co.uk:

click here

with the following spec chosen:

DISPLAY LCD: 17" WSXGA+ TFT LCD Display Max: 1680x1050 Pixels
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Mobile T7500 Dual-Core Processor @ 2.20GHz 800FSB 4MB L2 Cache EM64T
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel® PM965 & ICH8M Chipset Mainboard
MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD: Built-in NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB Video
HARD DRIVE: 160GB 5400RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE
OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

for a grand total of £1009

What do people think for performance and price, and is there anywhere where I could find something similar for cheaper?

Also, what's the verdict on Vista, and should I be getting the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit?

Thanks

citadel 22:15 04 Nov 07

8600m gt will pay games but you are going to have to turn stuff down in the options to get a playable framerate. go 7950 is the fastest card but it is dx9. 8700m gt is the dx10 card, but these are out of your price range.

r3n 09:04 05 Nov 07

Ah OK thanks, well I'm not expecting full settings for any new games on a laptop for this price, just so long as they run and don't look bad doing it!

Any other advice? I can't see anything similar for cheaper, but am I just looking in the wrong places?

r3n 19:36 05 Nov 07

OK, I've just read dozens of abysmal reviews for CyberPower so I'm definitely not buying from them!

I was looking at Novatech but you have to get Vista Ultimate, which I'm not bothered about spending extra on. Anyone know anywhere else that sells good high end lappys for non-extortion (ie, not Alienware etc.)?

davetheraver4 20:11 05 Nov 07

I have just noticed a company called Rock being shown here click here but I am looking for a basic computer - might be of some use for you though?

r3n 16:46 06 Nov 07

Thanks dave, I had a thorough look through Rock, as well as all the usuals (Dell, Sony etc.) and decided to go for the Alpha R from Novatech. Even though it's only 15.4" it's got a really good spec for that price and I get to save myself almost £400 from my budget (I could buy a pretty good new desktop as well for that!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009