New laptop or ungrade old one? advice please

nikkikiss 20:51 20 Sep 15

Hi all, Im looking to replace my current laptop. I have a Dell XPS L502x which is i believe about 4 years old. (although i was sure it was older than this) Any how, as much as i love this laptop, it no longer charges so has to be plugged in all the time. Windows 10 runs on it ok but i am having error messages that i can only relate to the laptop being too old for such a new operating system, and the sound through HDMI doesnt work anymore. Despite having an external harddrive, the hardrive on this laptop is still pretty full. Now, my dilema, i only have around £300 for a new laptop. Im looking at the HP af066sa. My technically knowledge of computers is basic. Enough to get me through. I use my laptop for photos, music, and running my business. im not a gamer. so, do i look at replacing my Dell with the HP? Or, is it possible/cost effective to upgrade my current laptop? I have no other problems with my laptop at all and would really appreciate any advice. many thanks nikki

rdave13 21:23 20 Sep 15

If this is the spec on the model and you can buy for around £300 then I'd go for it. Then go to [Crucial][2] and upgrade the ram to 8 Gig to cope with Windows 10. Keep the Dell as backup although I think the battery will need to be replaced or removed altogether. Keeping a dud battery in a laptop is a recipe for disaster.

rdave13 21:24 20 Sep 15

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…