new laptop / ntl cable modem

trqs 08:48 24 Mar 04

i have a cable going from the phone box to the ntl broadband modem, and a usb cable going from the pc tower to the modem.

i do have an ethernet cable available, there's a port for it at the back of the modem

now, the laptop i want has the following when it comes to internet connections...

Connectivity:
Integrated 56.6Kbps V.90 international modem combined with 10/100 Mbps LAN module

W-LAN:
Wireless LAN module 802.11b

anyone know how i could set up my new laptop (with the above options) with my ntl broadband service?

Lozzy 09:13 24 Mar 04

In internet Options click on the tab Connections then click on Never dial a connection. You should now connect. If not we need to know what the error msg's are, and whilst setting this up disable any firewall. After the connection is made re enable it.

trqs 18:21 24 Mar 04

so i connect my laptop with the ethernet cable and the above options. is that all i have to do?

Rogerfredo 19:03 24 Mar 04

To share your ntl modem between your PC and a laptop really requires a router.
This is because ntl only supports one connection address. The router will sit in between pc and modem and provide the required address to the second pc or laptop.
I use the ethernet connection from my pc to router, and router to laptop (most have ethernet cards in), and modem to router.(Ntl modems have both USB and ethernet connections).
My router is a Belkin which cost about £40 and is a doddle to set up.

trqs 19:12 24 Mar 04

i don't want to 'share' the connection. once i get a laptop it will be the only computer in my home, so i want the connection with that.

Rogerfredo 19:38 24 Mar 04

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
You should be able to connect the laptop via USB or ethernet cable without problems.
Just use the ntl installation disc and opt for your preferred method.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…