New laptop intermittantly cuts out after boot up

Dipso 14:51 27 Sep 04

I bought a new laptop last week and twice now it has cut out immediately after booting up. I have to restart it with the power button.

I have telephoned the support number and was advised to use the recovery CD.

I am not totally happy that I am having problems with this product in less than a week after purchase expecially as it cost a considerable amount of money.

Please confirm for me that this should not be happening and that using the Recovery CD was just a fob off.

AndySD 15:02 27 Sep 04

I hate to say it but the recovrey cd may sort it.
This type of problem often happens as they dont load the Operating System on each pc, they clone the hard disk from one. Then use this copy for many pc's. A reinstall often sorts this out.

Diodorus Siculus 15:05 27 Sep 04

Obviously it should not be happening.

But the use of the recovery disk would be a means of determining whether it is a hardware or software fault. If the former, then even a reinstall of the software will not help. If the latter, then a clean install may help to determine what is happening.

But software diagnostics is a long process - and not necessarily definitive.

For a start, what have you being doing at the time? Is there any pattern (well, not a pattern given that it was only twice but you know what I mean) in the "cut out"? Is it a shutdown or a restart? If the former, it could be an overheating problem.

Dipso 15:12 27 Sep 04

AndySD - I appreciate what you say maybe this will resolve it but it doesn't inspire me with confidence having to Recover within 4 days of purchase.

Diodorus Siculus - I have literally booted up from cold. It just cuts out shortly after reaching the desktop and I have to power up again. Maybe it's overheating then?

Diodorus Siculus 15:14 27 Sep 04

Does it run at all?

Will it run in safe-mode?

Dipso 20:53 27 Sep 04

Sorry, I had to go out.

It would run once I had rebooted it for as long as the battery lasted, the problem only occurred when I first powered up. I didn't get as far as trying it in safe mode.

I decided I wasn't happy whatever the problem was and so I took it back to the store this afternoon.

Thanks anyway for trying to work out what it could have been.

Diodorus Siculus 21:54 27 Sep 04

Dipso- what happened at the store?

Dipso 22:59 27 Sep 04

I just explained what was happening and that I was not happy with it. They offered me a replacement but I said I would prefer a refund as I had lost faith in the product, so I was given one.

Diodorus Siculus 08:11 28 Sep 04

Dipso - good news that. Any chance that you will name the store?

Dipso 21:43 28 Sep 04

No probs. It was Aldi, the laptop being the Gericom on offer from 2 September.

Diodorus Siculus 22:04 28 Sep 04

Well, that explains how you got your refund so easily. There is a lot to be said for buying from them. Best of luck with the next purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…