New laptop, how do i transfer data from old one?

whisked 18:40 29 Dec 04

Is there a easy way to transfer all the settings on my old laptop to a new one or do i have to download all the software/drivers from cds again?

In particular, i am thinking about my external broadband modem. I can probably live with starting afresh with many other things.

VoG II 18:46 29 Dec 04

Software and drivers you will need to reload from the CDs. For documents and settings click here

Dorsai 19:00 29 Dec 04

There is always the option to 'email yourself' files as an attachment, then retrieve the e-mail on the new laptop. Assuming they won't eisaly fit on a floppy, and you dont have access to a cd-writer (rewriter/dvd writer etc)

woodchip 19:09 29 Dec 04

You would have to have identical Laptops, to use the Drivers. As for any data you just need a USB link cable from about a tenner

whisked 22:50 31 Dec 04

Cheers guys.

Is it also possible to drag and drop programmes/files to an external hard drive and transfer using that?

woodchip 12:02 01 Jan 05

yes but programs will not work like that they have to be installed, you can only transfer Data, that's what asked about in thread

kjrider 12:10 01 Jan 05

If you have a new laptop, it should have XP on it, and XP will virtually do the job for you.

To move files or data across, if you have to much for floppies, put it onto or write a CD. If not there are plug in USB HDs or storage devices to use.

For the modem, just check the settings. You will probably be able to plug it in and get it working without any hassle.

LinuxPenguin 17:27 01 Jan 05

if you cant use xp fiels and settings transfer wizrd then back up your entire registry and copy the hard drive files over..

to backup registry ... start menu - run - regedit

in the top left there is my computer... right click, export and save the file to a floppy or something...

on the new pc double click it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…