New laptop help

Ferrari-Fan 12:06 08 Feb 09

i'm thinking of purchasing my first laptop and have been looking at an HP G70120EM Laptop from PC World or Currys at £470 click here .

The laptop will be used for internat browsing, not much downloading, microsoft office applications and maybe some iplayer viewing. Not really into playing games, although maybe it could happen in the future.

I would prefer a 17" display with a full numeric keypad and output to my HD TV.

Would the dedicated graphics card be an advantage or would I be better saving some money and going for onboard graphics?

My original budget was up to £600, but it's always better if money is saved but not if it's going to be a disadvantage.

has anyone any opinions or even experience of this model?

iqs 20:10 15 Feb 09

Check posted threads in Consumerwatch in regards to the company's you mention,personally I would buy one from Novatech,but its your decision.

On-board and dedicated graphics are built into the proprietary MB's.Its not like a PC where you can up-grade at a later date.

If you will be playing the latest games at some point,then a laptop with a dedicated graphics chip would be a safe bet.
But that said,I have known friends who bought a laptop designed for gaming and still found issues with the games settings,resolution,in game graphics settings and AA.

Personally I don't like playing games on a laptop,but like I said its your decision.

Hope this helps?.

richard_price 22:24 15 Feb 09

The HP G70120EM is a mighty machine, with dual core processing and 3gb ram, it can handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

Gaming isn't really what laptops are designed for but i am sure it can handle them well enough, especially since it has a lush 17" screen!

I would go with PC World as i have bought from them in the past and had great customer satisfaction. Very friendly staff and any problems just pop into your nearest store [img]click here[/img]

FRANKMAC 01:57 16 Feb 09

Hi, i brought this laptop from Currys for my wife at Christmas. Until now it has been faultless and performs I have peviously purchased a Desk Top PC from curry's and the Customer service was also V.Good

gazzaho 10:16 16 Feb 09

I tried PC world a few years ago when searching for a HD TV and they were selling factory reconditioned Samsung TV's for the same price as new ones in other retail outlets, I also found they where selling an all in one HP printer for £50 more than HP's online store, this really put me off using them for expensive products.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…