New Laptop Hard Drive

PC Advisor Fan 09:14 05 Nov 08

I want to upgrade the hard drive on my Toshiba Portege M400, can anyone tell me if:
A) i could reinstall windows using the recovery disk.

B) where can i buy laptop hard drives

The Brigadier 09:32 05 Nov 08

A: No.
B: Novatech click here

Pineman100 10:07 05 Nov 08

I'm puzzled by The Brigadier's reply to A.

If you have a full Windows recovery disk, supplied with the computer, then to the best of my knowledge you should be able to use it to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive - provided you set your BIOS to boot from the optical drive first.

woodchip 10:28 05 Nov 08

If you buy Acronis True Image You can make a Image to a External drive. Fit the New Drive and just load the Acronis Image using the Acronis Rescue disc You will be away in ten minutes

woodchip 10:30 05 Nov 08

Recovery discs work in conjunction with Images on the Original Hard Drive. So it would not work with a new drive. He needs Acronis to do it

tullie 10:39 05 Nov 08

Recovery discs do just that,recover whats on a partition on original drive,not a new one.

PC Advisor Fan 10:41 05 Nov 08

i have acronis home trial but i've just brought the new version, can i use my old backups

PC Advisor Fan 10:42 05 Nov 08

i have acronis home trial but i've just brought the new version, can i use my old backups

woodchip 14:48 05 Nov 08

Don't know about what you call a backup. but a Acronis Image, should load with any version of Acronis

Pineman100 16:53 05 Nov 08

I'm sorry to bang on about this, but I still think that a full Windows recovery disk will reinstall Windows from the disk, not necessarily from a recovery partition on the hard drive.

I accept that not all computer manufacturers may provide a disk like this, but I believe that many do.

For example, I recently used a DOS recovery floppy disk to reformat the HDD on a Mesh computer, then I reinstalled Windows from the recovery CD provided by Mesh.

Any other views on this?

woodchip 18:33 05 Nov 08

The recovery disc would need to be a DVD not a CD for it to get anywhere near the size of Operating System and drivers on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…