new laptop - can't connect to internet

pookie 22:32 23 May 03

Hi guys

Slight problem. My brother just bought a new laptop and I’m installing printer/etc for him.

Internet - I’m using handbag.com (Boots own disc) which I have on my own desktop as well as freeserve. Now I know that handbag works cause I’ve just connected to it on my desktop but the laptop won’t connect. You can hear it dialling but then nothing. Now after it’s tried to dial it says ‘status: open port’ and at the bottom right of screen where the 2 monitor icons appear when your connected, well on the laptop the 2 icons are permanently there and there is a red x through them. When you put your arrow over it it says ‘local area connection A network cable is unplugged’.

I have gone into device manager and modem is enabled and there are no conflicts.

Any ideas?

Thanks

P

Djohn 22:41 23 May 03

That Icon is normal, and nothing to do with the internet connection. It's XP's method of showing the Nework Icon that you see on the desktop of win. 98.

The reason for the red X is because you do not have a local network, IE two or more PC's connected.

Djohn 22:51 23 May 03

right click on any area of the main taskbar, choose properties, then click on customise, a window will open showing all Icons that are available.

If you click on one of the items to highlight, a drop down menu will appear with three options.

Always hide, always show, and Hide when inactive, choose the one you want, click on apply, then OK, it will now do as requested.

As for the internet connection. Are you using the wizard to make a new connection for you?

pookie 23:12 23 May 03

Hi Djohn

thanks for replies. No, I didn't use wizard. I just popped in the disk, which I did on my desktop, and got as far as 'do you wish to connect to internet', or words to that effect, but it doesn't connect. I'll try wizard route.

P

pookie 12:30 27 May 03

well it's the strangest thing. My desktop connects to internet no problem at all. The laptop wouldn't. I tried laptop on another phone socket in the house and it worked fine.

thanks for the replies

P

graham√ 13:52 27 May 03

Try the laptop in another socket.

Djohn 14:11 27 May 03

:o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…