New Laptop Battery

Completealias 17:43 03 Aug 05

Hi all am getting a new laptop this week and was wondering if there was a minium length of time that I should place the battery on charge for. I know with your mobile the first charge is for 16hrs do I have to do something similar with my new laptop battery?

I was under the impression that laptop batterys will only charge to their maxium capacity and then switch off from charging to prevent them from exploding. Is this correct?

Cheers all

woodchip 18:12 03 Aug 05

If you use the Laptop mainly at Home I would suggest you remove the battery on Half charge and put in plastic bag and put in fridge As I have done. just use it when you really need to. For a new Battery for my laptop £160 they only last about two years if you leave them in all the time.

PS when you use the Laptop, connected to the Mains it starts to charge, you cannot stop it. Only by removing the battery or mains plug

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 03 Aug 05

Laptop Batteries Info
click here
click here

Completealias 18:20 03 Aug 05

I was just reading through click here and they recommend the first charge to be between 10-14 hrs and to fully discharge and recharge the battery 2 or 3 times to condition it. Is this good advice?

Then as you suggest if running off the mains remove the battery as this can damage it, so you'd say leave the battery in a half charged state and not fully charged when storing it.Also why store it in the fridge?

woodchip 18:22 03 Aug 05

discharge and recharge the battery 2 or 3 times to condition it. YES when it needs it, may be about every three months if you use the battery all the time

Completealias 18:30 03 Aug 05

So just so I've got this straight first charge for 10-14hrs and then fully discharge and recharge 2-3 times, then when using the laptop from the mains remove the battery and store it then every now and again fully discharge and recharge the battery.

Thanks for everyones input.

woodchip 18:30 03 Aug 05
  Completealias 18:37 03 Aug 05

Cheers woodchip plently of reading there will tick this one thanks again

Diemmess 18:38 03 Aug 05

Batteries generate their power during chemical reactions and these continue very slowly even when not switched on. Cold slows up most chemical reactions, and delays the moment when the battery will need charging (more chemical reactions)

Eventually the charge/discharge cycle will cause physical changes which will make the battery ineffective.

You can't win because if a battery is allowed to discharge and stay like that, the structure will still change (slowly) and attempts at recharging will not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…