New Laptop- automatic internet connection

Les T 21:33 27 Dec 07

Evening folks, my wife and i treated ourselves to a new laptop at christmea (Acer Aspire 5720Z). When we log on, to get an internet connection, we have to click the start button and then "Connect to" to bring up our wireless connection. It doesn't take long, but i can't help thinking there must be a way to get the internet connection to enable as soon as were logged in.
We have a D-Link modem/router set up with WPA encrytion, the laptop is running Vista Home Premium (2Gb Ram).

Thanks in advance.

Les

Robotic_Rob 01:55 28 Dec 07

You'll be glad to here that they is definitely a way to connect to the Internet as soon as you log on because i set up my girlfriends Gran's like that. But unfortunately i cant remember how on earth i did it, sorry.

dms05 06:40 28 Dec 07

Les T - when you go to the 'Connect To' chose 'Show all Connections'. Highlight your WiFi connection and right click on it. Then chose, from the drop down menu, Properties. Then make sure, under WiFi Connections, that Windows is set to Configure the WiFi.

Now you can set up the laptop to Automatically log on to a Preferred Network in the lower part of that menu by choosing Add and selecting your network. Press OK.

From then on your laptop will look for and automatically connect to your network (you will need to confirm the encryption password the first time you do so).

Les T 16:28 29 Dec 07

Thank you very much, followed your instructions and they have worked a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…