New Lappy for me

pctwonk 11:20 09 Apr 07

Ok, so I'm an idiot - accepted

I don't understand why Intel duo core whatsits are better than AMD thingmebobs. But I trust you ( thousands wouldn't ), so I'll find the extra £50 for the best.

But what about the rest of the spec.

I thought RAM was the important thing for speed, so a higher RAM is always good. I'm thinking of 1GB+ RAM rather than 512, which is what most lappys under £500 seem to have ( Dell are suggesting 2x512 - is that the same ? ) .

But, again, is it worth an extra £50 ?

What about Gateway ? Their site prices in $$$, but it seems bloody cheap in comparison. Does this mean there are huge extras to add on ? Is it safe, financially ?

Like I said before. I don't need a high spec, I only do basic stuff ( I have a small business, so I do a little office stuff, & I play poker for fun, so I need something that keeps a very good internet connection. )

My business software fits in with XP, so I'm going to have that, rather than Vista ( unless you can suggest otherwise ).

But I'm hoping to do some internet trading in the future, so I want to make sure it's good enough for that.

Sorry this is a ramble, but I bought a PC World laptop last year, & it's sooooooo crap, I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Forum Editor 12:40 09 Apr 07

Yes.

"Gateway - Is it safe, financially?"

I wouldn't know for sure, but I think so. In any event, you're not thinking of ordering a laptop from America are you?

As for making mistakes - you won't if you proceed with caution. There are hundreds of machines out there, and no surefire way of knowing which of them is better than any of the others with similar specifications.

Post back with an idea of your budget limitations and we'll offer some suggestions.

johndrew 13:08 09 Apr 07

He already did click here

Forum Editor 23:44 09 Apr 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…