New Lappy - Advice needed please

AngeTheHippy 18:58 02 Jan 11

Happy 2011 everyone!

After much research into which Lappy to buy himself (would prefer a Toshiba similar to mine as very reliable)but they're a bit too expensive at the mo - I've more-or-less decided on the following::

click here

It seems a reasonable spec and processor. He's a low user - no gaming, virtually all surfing and some video streaming. Would you go ahead and buy this one please?

Ange
x

bremner 19:06 02 Jan 11

Seems fine.

Video streaming really depends on the speed of your internet connection more than the spec of the PC.

northumbria61 19:09 02 Jan 11

Is that a misprint by Comet - is it not the 5742Z?

AngeTheHippy 19:10 02 Jan 11

Many thanks, bremner. Speed isn't a problem - average 12,200kbps. Also looked at this - thinking about it, he probably would never NEED a 500HDD :

click here

The same price, but according to Intel's website, a higher quality processor.

Ange
x

chub_tor 19:16 02 Jan 11

If 500Gb isn't essential you might want to consider this one click here Asus has a better name for reliability than Acer. Same price as your first Acer.

northumbria61 19:17 02 Jan 11

Don't know if you would consider "refurbished" but big savings here click here

northumbria61 19:18 02 Jan 11

On checking above spec. - it does differ from the Comet one.

Strawballs 19:20 02 Jan 11

I have just been checking out laptops and all I will say is if you have young children check out the keys as all the Acers I have seen recently have keys that look vunerable to little fingers getting under them, so I ended going for an Advent Sienna 510. Shame as my last lappy was Acer and I was very pleased with it.

AngeTheHippy 19:22 02 Jan 11

Dunno northumbria61 - some retailers add their own letters/digits to the official ones don't they for their ID I expect...

A
x

AngeTheHippy 19:24 02 Jan 11

Thanks chub_tor - Ill start looking at Asus too I think!

Strawballs - Little kids... mmm no - youngest is 38 and has his OWN kids 8-D 8-D Worth remembering though,

A
x

Strawballs 19:33 02 Jan 11

Not a problem just thought I would imput

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5