New kit -v- bare bones

Furkin 08:56 26 Apr 10

Hi, My home machine is about 5 years old now & I want to spend a bit of money on it.

I’m undecided whether to buy a bare bones kit – to keep some of my bits, or go for a completely new machine.

Not life threatening, but your opinions would be appreciated.

Existing kit here. Numbers 1 to 7 will need upgrading. Numbers 8 to 14 could be kept.

ACER T120 Desktop AMD Athlon XP 2400+

(1) M.B – KM400
(2) Bios award v6.00pg
(3) HDD 1 – Seagate 160gb IDE
(4) HDD 2 – WD 40gb IDE
(5) RAM – 2gb Crucial (MAX)
(6) Graphics – nvidia 6200
(7) Multi Card READER

(8) DVD 1 – Sony Optiarc 7220A
(9) DVD 2 – LG GSA-4167B
(10) K.B – M.S USB
(11) Mouse – PC-Line Laser USB
(12) Monitor – Hanns 19” LCD
(13) FDD – 3½“
(14) Case

thanks for reading

jack 10:38 26 Apr 10

MoBo bundle with memory and select the rest from-
click here catalogue,if you are confident of dismantling and re assembling
There is one potential pitfall howeverThe move away from IDE [ your existing machine most likely ] to SATA- which would lead to problems marrying up the stuff you wish to keep.
Careful reading and advice from the vendor is advised

ame 13:54 26 Apr 10

You may find that unless you buy individual components (e.g. not motherboard/cpu bundles, etc) and put them all together yourself you will save very little if anything compared to buying a base unit without screen. And you're still left with some old components and the risk of it not working properly with no warranty on the build. So unless if you're after something very specific to do certain tasks very well, think carefully and compare overall price with PCA "Best Buy" type machines. If you do go the pre-built route, I suggest you be very careful about who you buy from in terms of after-sales customer service, rather than pc performance.

Gongoozler 15:51 26 Apr 10

I have been down this path myself several times, and have come to the conclusion that the only reasons for self build are the the satisfaction of building your own computer and being able to specify all the components that go into it. The pc market is so competitive that it's almost certainly cheaper to buy an off the shelf ready built model, which will also come with a warranty.

ame 20:41 26 Apr 10

...and remember to add in the cost of Windows 7.

Furkin 12:16 28 Apr 10

thanks folks,
Whilst the money aspect is important to me - being disabled & on benefits - it isn't the "be all & end all" of it. I'm thinking more of "Value for money". For example, the mouse, k.board, monitor & Sony DVD are pretty new - it would be a shame to get rid of them.
And whilst I am capable of the manual side of building a machine, I'm not conversant with setting things up afterwards !

This is purely my home machine - I am not a gamer etc, so do not require the very best (expensive) components.

So I guess i'm looking for a ready built case inc:
PSU
M.B & CPU
HDD
RAM
Graphics
Card reader/writer
& of course Windows 7.

Any ideas on the best 'Value for money' suppliers of such things ?

thanks again

ame 14:03 28 Apr 10

You could start by looking at Novatech barebones bundles click here Other reliable component suppliers to look at are ebuyer.com, scan.co.uk, misco.co.uk, cclonline.com, dabs.com, etc,etc.

Batch 14:29 28 Apr 10

IMHO in terms of "Value for Money" you will be better off buying a pre-built system unit(preferably with OEM OS pre-installed) even if you have to write-off all of the parts of your existing set-up that are still considered useful.

Sometimes such system units come with speakers, mouse, keyboard, but these are often cheap products just thrown-in.

In any event, you could probably sell some of your existing components on ebay (I assume, from what you say, you'd want to keep the monitor). For example, the 160GB should fetch fetch a reaosnable price

Furkin 12:11 29 Apr 10

I've come across:
Gigabyte GZ-M2 Case
500w PSU
ASUS M2N68-AM
AND Athlon II X2 250 Duel core 3.0Ghz
4Gb Samsung RAM
500gb SATA II HDD
22x DVD RW
built-in graphics
built-in audio
MS-7
2 year Return to Base Warranty
for £380.
Is that about right - or can I do better for the money ?
(not TOO worried about audio, & I do have a nVidia 6200 that I could pop in)

ame 22:11 30 Apr 10

This is not actually a barebones bundle as you mentioned at the start. Who's selling it? The motherboard seems limited to 4Gb ram max- yes? No use for future upgrades. Also your nvidia 6200 is AGP is it not, whereas the Asus mobo uses PCIe graphics slot - so it won't pop in. Is it DDR3 ram? What make is the PSU? Lots to think about.

Furkin 11:26 02 May 10

Cheers AME:
Seller: Power.
PSU: un-named "standard psu".
M.B: Yep = 4Gb max.
nVidea: Yep - AGP. thanks for that info.
RAM: DDR2.

I take it that I should be able to get better for the money ?

also, (secondary) is it worth my while looking to USB 3,,,, or maybe waiting for optical interface ?

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now