New ISP- setting SMTP problems

jack O'lantern 12:56 11 Dec 10

Though following the normal routine in setting up mail account - the SMTP line is proving difficult with- frequeht 'Timeout's and not able to connect.
So I conclude there is sometihng I have overlooked/forgotten or jst got plain wrong.

So with Webmail accounts - is SMTP required?
and if so which is best -
SMTP- full email address
SMTP- just the server address
SMTP= Use default

Sea Urchin 13:15 11 Dec 10

The answer is no - if actually using webmail. But if you are using an email client (such as windows mail, outlook etc) then yes.

Which webmail account are you using?

Sea Urchin 13:17 11 Dec 10

Also SMTP refers to your outgoing server address - it is nothing to do with an email address

jack O'lantern 13:25 11 Dec 10

I should have said I am referring the E-mail client setting , all is OK with Webmail access and sending.
It also happentsthat the client[Thunderbird] is 'collecting' Webmails as well.
So coming back to SMTP business [with E client]
which is the best line to set.

Sea Urchin 13:47 11 Dec 10

ALL email is collected from webmail - Thunderbird is one such email client.

The SMTP setting depends on who is your service provider. If for example it was TalkTalk then the setting would be smtp.talktalk.net

As I said above it is nothing to do with your email address, and you cannot just "select" a setting - it has to be exact to fit both Thunderbird and the ISP

jack O'lantern 14:27 11 Dec 10

'simply smtp - 'server' no account detail before the @ and no@ is that right?

Batch 14:59 11 Dec 10

Will this help clarify?

Pure webmail account (i.e. where you access emails solely through your web browser) - SMTP (and POP) is not relevant.

For non-webmail accounts and for webmail accounts that also allow you to use your email software (such as Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird), SMTP and POP are used as follows:

POP server is for incoming email. Each email account will use a POP server, typically of the relevant email service provider (such as pop.tiscali.co.uk for an email such as [email protected])

SMTP server is for outgoing mail. This will typically be set to the same for ALL your email addresses, being the SMTP server of the ISP that you use for your Internet connection. So if one had email addresses of [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]ilnet but your ISP is tiscali, then you would use the tiscali SMTP server for ALL of these email addresses (such as smtp.tiscali.co.uk). The reason for this is that all of your outgoing email usually HAS to be sent via the server of the ISP that you are connected to the Internet on.

There are other types of mail server, but given what you have already stated, these should not be pertinent.

bremner 15:07 11 Dec 10

With whom do you have your email account, we can then tell you the smtp setting

rawprawn 15:10 11 Dec 10

In settings is there an option "SMTP ReQuires Authentication"
If so you probably need to tick the box.
(BT Requires authentication)

jack O'lantern 11:39 12 Dec 10

'B' asked the question and as I was about to tell you all
'R' answered it
Thank you both.

Now for some further playing

Its never ceased to cause me wonder how I can help others on here and in my 'Flock' that when I come to sort out my self the the depths of the 'DooDoo pit loom ;-{

Do you like my new user name?
Updating my profile here did not go quite to plan here either.

jack O'lantern 20:48 13 Dec 10

seemed to be a good idea.
Having printed and read through all your good advice it seemed to me that perhaps removing the program completely with REVO- rebooting will clear the air.
So that is what I did.
Revo'd Thunderbird, rebooted, downloaded the latest and installed.
Only to find all the old settings has popped back in.
Grrr.
Keep poking jack, there is always Webmail to fall back on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…