New internal hard drive

Flabbyfran 17:37 26 Mar 08

Hi all, I was running out of space on my pc
(System Manufacturer: MEDION PC Med MT174 PC MT5
System Model: AWRDACPI
Motherboard Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Motherboard Model: MS-6719
running Xp service pack 2)
so i purchased an Seagate 120Gb internal hard drive 8T3120026A.
I have set the jumpers to slave, connected it and it has been recognised as local disc D, 111gb, format fat32. what should i do now? an i good to go? should i partision? reformat? fat32 or nfts?
Thanks
Fran

rossgolf 17:52 26 Mar 08

format to NTFS
how many hdd's have you got now? 1 or 2?

Flabbyfran 18:00 26 Mar 08

phsically this is the second the first one is partitioned into 3 though approx 60 gb in total. Will xp format the 120gb or do I need a third party program? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 26 Mar 08

XP will format it to NTFS if you wish, it is a better file susytem as you can have files over 4g in size.

There is really no need to partition unless you want to.

Flabbyfran 18:11 26 Mar 08

thanks all. Would it be worth moving the operating system and making this drive the master or is that risky and pointless?

woodchip 18:45 26 Mar 08

The fat32 Partition as to be removed first, before you create a NTFS partition and format it. but XP NTFS will see the Fat32 Partition and you can use it as it is

Flabbyfran 18:59 26 Mar 08

how do you go about removing the Fat32?

woodchip 20:00 26 Mar 08

you need to delete the partition, You could download KillDisk and use that click here

Flabbyfran 00:27 27 Mar 08

Ok, bit of a problem now. went to kill disk, set it in motion, ran for 30miutes or so and froze. Shut down and restarted windows, no sign of the hard drive? Restarted kill disk it sees the drive , ran it again and again it froze? stopped and restarted windows no sign of hard drive. Restarted windows and went into cmos and hard drive is recognized ok. What to do now?
Thanks again and please help.

Flabbyfran 08:59 27 Mar 08

Alright now sorted. Found similar problem in your help room. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017