New Installation problems

wotan 09:49 25 Aug 05

Two Problems. First one, is it o.k. to leave my new 3coms Wireless Router/Modem turned on 24/7 , it seems to run quite hot after a few hours and I don't want to fry it. If it is o.k. , the answer to my second problem should be irrelevant. Having installed the Router/Modem according to the instructions and hardwired my desktop,running XP Home with recommended cable and configured my laptop, also running XP Home, for wireless connection, and fitted micro-filters to all phone points, I was able to get the system up and running. However each time I turn the Router off for the night, I have to re-configure the settings before being able to connect to the internet again. I can connect the modem to the Internet but neither computer will talk to the router. It is as though the router is forgetting the settings each time. I am using Tiscali Broadband and have had no problems up to now with connecting and holding the connection.

scotty 10:43 25 Aug 05

Not familiar with your specific modem/router but normally you have to store/save the new settings. Check to see if there is such an option on your device

wotan 11:47 25 Aug 05

Thanks for the reply Scotty. I do not have any options for storing data, the only disk I received with the Router contains installation details in adobe format. These say nothing about storing settings, and the impression I got was that once you had configured the Router/modem it was set to go. I have downloaded three updates from the 3com web site but they have no effect.It is perplexing because the system ran perfectly first time, but since then it connects to the Internet,( and the connected to Internet light stays on,) but refuses to connect with either computer and all that comes up on the screen is a message reading 'Unable to connect to server' or 'web page not available off line'. I have stopped twiddling with it for now in case I make things worse,

selfbuild 18:57 25 Aug 05

I leave my wireless router on 24/7.... they may get warm but not as hot as you may think....

wotan 12:42 26 Aug 05

Will try leaving it on 24/7 as suggested. Will let you know if this sorts problems out (or burns the house down) .Either way, thanks for the help,it is appreciated.
Wotan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…