New install of XP on second drive

stp 12:34 14 Sep 07

I have XP home installed on an 80gb drive, and a second 160gb drive partitioned 40/120gb used for video editing etc. Windows is playing up - system restore won't, System Mechanic locks up on initialising, Thunderbird won't upgrade, if I restart I get a blue screen and have to wait 15 minutes before restarting... It looks to me like some corruption somewhere in Windows. Some things work fine.

Can I switch the drives so that the master becomes the slave and vice versa, and put a clean install of Windows on the 40gb partition? Will it still access applications & data on the other drive? And will the presence of a (presumably corrupt) XP installation on the new slave drive upset it?

howard64 12:42 14 Sep 07

there should be no problem swapping the drives as you suggest. Do not forget to swap the ribbon cable as the master should be at the end of the cable and the slave connected to the middle connector. Your problem could be the hard drive dying what you discribe are recognisable symptoms.

Quiller. 12:44 14 Sep 07

Yes. best to disconnect the old 80Gb drive when you move it's jumpers to become the slave.

When windows has finished the installation on the new jumpered master drive, just connect the 80Gb slave and use.

Quiet Life 13:48 14 Sep 07

"Will it still access applications & data on the other drive? And will the presence of a (presumably corrupt) XP installation on the new slave drive upset it?"
Data is no problem but other applications where details are in a registry of a corrupt Windows, which is no longer the active operating system, is I think a problem and you would be better reinstalling them on the 180 gb drive.
I hope someone who has actual experience of what you ask will comment

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 14 Sep 07

Can I switch the drives so that the master becomes the slave and vice versa, and put a clean install of Windows on the 40gb partition?

Yes

Will it still access applications & data on the other drive?

Data YES,
Applications NO
You will need to reinstall all applications and windows updates

And will the presence of a (presumably corrupt) XP installation on the new slave drive upset it?

No

Before yo Do the avove I sggest you try a few repairs first.
OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…