New install 98SE-USB anomalies

jack 15:22 08 Aug 05

Having rebuilt my machine I have -pro tem reinstalled 98SE.
I am having now some very strange USB events.

On start up first time - the USB trackball was in action no driver loaded - good

Loadind Card reader drivers and eventually all fired up - good.

Installed Epson printer - Good

Installed Scanner - wierd!
It works fine, but device manager shows the big yellow? as if it has a problem.

This is the not so good bit - The external HDD.
home made with a 'HardBox' caddy.
downloaded the driver from the site.
Driver installed and Windoze says found it and am loading it.
Mass storage found - it said.
But no icon is evident for it any where.
Repeated unpluging and replugging has not got it to show up.
Any ideas please.

pk470 16:53 08 Aug 05

What are you on about??
External HDD home made with a hardbox caddy???
Mass storage found,on W98SE??

Diemmess 17:04 08 Aug 05

Assume that you have a new mobo with 2 back and 2 front ports?

If the O/S is 98SE it will have the right idea about USB but it will be flummoxed about USB 2, and its possible that the drivers for the external HD are written with USB2 in mind.

A work around would be to fit a cheap PCI to USB2 card. The driver CD that comes with that will install the enhanced USB 2 controller and give you 4 more USB sockets!

jack 20:09 08 Aug 05

Hi Diemmess
New 64 bit MoBo 4 USB2 on the back
The Caddy is a Sarotech -Hardbox USB2 and does have a down loadable 98SE driver which I have down loaded.
Just in case it was not a clean download I have just this moment done it again.
The USB 2 PCI card I do have- from the original USB 1 MoBo - I was thinking about the ponderables of putting a USB 2 card into a USB 2 system- What do you think?-
Meanwhile there is a way out - that is to 'unbox' the drive and put it in as a slave on a temp basis,
All this is temporary until I resolve an XP problem.

woodchip 23:08 08 Aug 05

When you put the USB Hard drive in, it just loads a Icon in system tray with Green arrow. Also check for the Extra Drive Letters in Win Explorer

woodchip 23:10 08 Aug 05

For the Scanner in Device Manager click update Driver and point it to your Scanner CD drivers Folder

jack 08:38 09 Aug 05

DieMess
The USB2 card works fine-with all the USB devices except the Ext,.HDD . I have mounted the card reader into a spare bay with the aid of aluminium
scrap and double sided tape and wired it to the 5th'internal' on the card USB2 - look and works the business too.
Woodchip
The external USB/HDD although the driver has been loaded, deleted, replaced etc, and the system knows it is there , the icon has yet to show up anywhere - I may yet be putting the drive 'onboard'as an ISA.

The reason for all this is that XP is refusing to load - may be the is CD damaged

jack 13:54 11 Aug 05

Not resolved but working on it
Dont sop the posts if you have any thoughts any one.

woodchip 14:19 11 Aug 05

Is all USB turned on in BIOS

Diemmess 17:58 11 Aug 05

Glad it works now (I presume from the tick).

Do you know what you did that made the difference?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…