New homebuilt PC, what to load first ?

Indigo 1 22:54 03 Jul 03

Just finished putting together my new PC from all new parts.
ABIT KD7-G mobo, Athlon 2600+XP, Maxtor 80 Gig HDD (blank), 1Gig DDR400 Ram, etc. (can forward all specs if it will help). My problem is that I can boot into BIOS and see all devices etc. but the HDD is completely blank and don't know what to load first. I have tried to load XP but failed and tried to load up from boot disk and failed with the following message "File \NTKRNLMP.EXE could not be loaded. Error code 7 Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit." Since this is the first time I've built a PC I don't know where to look for the right info. Any help appreciated.

VoG II 23:05 03 Jul 03

click here but this applies after an upgrade - any use?

DieSse 23:29 03 Jul 03

When you boot up from the XP CD, if the drive is blank, the first thing you need to do is to set any partitions you want, then format those partitions. XP will lead you throught the process, and should then proceed to install XP. Did you do this, or get this far?

Did you infact boot from the XP CD? - you may need to change the BIOS setting to enable this to happen.

paperlad 23:46 03 Jul 03
  paperlad 23:47 03 Jul 03
  Steven135 23:50 03 Jul 03

paperlad just to say that its not wise to put your personal address on show for all to see people can e-mail you by clicking on the envelope icon next to your username.

DieSse 23:52 03 Jul 03

You don't need a boot disk to get XP running, and if you use them you will be unlikely to find ones that can format to NTFS - so do it the correct way, straight from the CD - that's why it was built to be capable of self - starting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…