new home -want a wired network

chinaplate 10:51 15 Apr 08

i,v just relocated to a large,old,3 level house.the weekly problems i had with the main pc and the kids wi fi broadband before makes me now want a wired broadband internet network.phone lines are available throughout the house---what do i need and how.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 15 Apr 08

You may be better with networking through the mains
click here
click here

Ahdinko 12:02 15 Apr 08

If its an old house, networking through the mains may be problematic.
I've seen older houses get some very slow speeds, and some sockets just not work at all.

You would be best running ethernet cables through your house. Its a job but you may already find holes drilled for other things.

Buy a router which will connect to your modem if you do not have a router already. Then buy as many ethernet cables as there are devices in the house. You can run a cable to each device straight from the router.

If you have more devices than you have ports on the router, you can buy a switch which you can plug into the router to give you more ports.

oldbeefer2 12:07 15 Apr 08

If you don't go with Fruit Bat's suggestion, you will have to provide new wiring from router to other computer locations - the phone cables are no help here, it has to be 8 wire network cable with special sockets at each terminal.

oldbeefer2 12:09 15 Apr 08

Damn - too slow again!

ambra4 14:57 15 Apr 08

Firstly location the ASDL2+2 wireless modem /router in a centrally part of the house to make the cables runs as short as possible to each floor some where on the second floor that have a electrical outlet and a good working phone line

From the main broadband router run a single Ethernet cable to each floor

Connect a switch to each end of the main cable and from each room on that floor that require a connection run a cable to the switch

Base on the amount of rooms on each floor and the size of the building, it would be better to add multi switches rather than 3-60m cable from one part of the house to the other part of the house, you just run one 60m cable an connect a second switch which would connect to the rooms on that part of the house

In other words if the floor have 6 rooms 3 on the west side and 3 on the east side you should use two switches, and cut down on the amount of cabling that you have to run it would also help to troubleshoot any problem that you might have (i.e. west room working east wing dead, bad cable or bad port on switch)

Personal I only use equipment that I trust and work with and in all of my years of connecting network and wireless systems for large companies worldwide

I only use D-Link or Hawking equipment as they just sits in the cupboard and works never had any problem with any of their equipment

Equipment you would require base on the amount of rooms on each floor to be connected and printers

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

(Connected to your broadband supplier)

click here

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

(1 Port connect to the router and 3 rooms plus printer)

click here

D-Link 8 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

(1 Port connect to the router and 6 rooms plus printer)

click here

You should also look at how you will be sharing printers on the network for each floor or just a common printer, which can become a problem if you have the printer on the first floor as you would be running up and down
D-LINK Single Printer USB Print Server 10/100

click here

If you need to access the wireless system on the second floor from the third or first floors and the signal strength is low look at replacing the antenna on the modem/router with a

Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

click here

Or you can use a Hawking Wireless-G Range Extender

click here

Take a read at this posting

click here

If you will not be using the wireless system in the modem/router just disable it

Hope this help you in setting up you network system

Take it one thing at a time, and make sure that you plan the layout with care, not just today in mind but what you also plan to do inside the house next year new kitchen, new bathrooms, remove walls, add rooms etc as you will not want to have rewire in a few months

chinaplate 17:12 15 Apr 08

great help and advice thanks very much.lots to be getting on with.cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…