NEW TO HIGHER END AMD CPU ADVICE PLZ

jamesd1981 18:13 02 Feb 11

hi guys like alot of you i was caught up in the sandybridge mess, thankfully just got my sandybridge board and had not used so i can return no probs

i am to my own suprise considering trying amd i have rebuilt many old/cheap end amd like sempron etc, but im pretty unfimilar with higher end amd and looking for some advice about there performance

im looking at the motherboard below seems good but as it a match for intel i range not even sandybridge just i range in general

click here

jamesd1981 18:15 02 Feb 11

oh and this is the cpu im looking at

click here

Ashrich 18:42 02 Feb 11

Have you checked that this mobo can take that processor , it might need a bios update to do so , otherwise I can't see any problems with your choice .

Ashley

jamesd1981 19:16 02 Feb 11

yes ashley i have checked and the parts are fine for compatability, mainly i want to know will the amd phenom be be close performance wise to intel i range ?

Ashrich 19:58 02 Feb 11

As far as that goes , I don't know what you will be using it for , Gaming runs just as well on dual core processors , single thread processes are ruled by Intel processors as they are simply quicker , but multiple threads , well the more cores the better although I don't know whether anyone has written any programs to take advantage of 6 cores yet . Unless you want to spend gazillions on an Intel 6 core you'll get excellent speed and the best cost per cycle ( or bang for your buck !)from the AMD .

Ashley

Ashrich 19:58 02 Feb 11

As far as that goes , I don't know what you will be using it for , Gaming runs just as well on dual core processors , single thread processes are ruled by Intel processors as they are simply quicker , but multiple threads , well the more cores the better although I don't know whether anyone has written any programs to take advantage of 6 cores yet . Unless you want to spend gazillions on an Intel 6 core you'll get excellent speed and the best cost per cycle ( or bang for your buck !)from the AMD .

Ashley

Ashrich 19:59 02 Feb 11

Accidental double tap and you get 2 answers , albeit the same ones !!

Ashley

jamesd1981 20:06 02 Feb 11

i mainly use ps3 for games, the few pc games ive got arent graphic hungry its just a few simulators, brain train etc, i do alot of photo, video work, alot of large file conversion, i also move alot of files around in bulk got a 1tb drive thats in the red with files, so mainly file transfer and some video work

Ashrich 20:52 03 Feb 11

Then certainly you will be future proofed for quite a few years using the kit you have chosen . Make sure you have plenty of memory as well , no point spoiling the ship for a ha'penny of tar ( as the saying goes ! )

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…