new HDD & Win install only shows half the size

square eyes 21:56 01 May 06

Hi,
AS uaual things get in the way of an XP installation. Sorry if this is in the archives, will check out now.

My pc originally had a 60 gig HDD, i recently got a 250 gig (239 actually) which i want to have as the new master and use the old 60 gig as a slave. I have left the jumpers in cable select position on both drives, attached ide black to the new HDD and grey to the old HDD. These are maxtors 6l060J3 (old) and 6l250RO (new).

Ive done a few reinstalls with the old HDD and size was recognised at setup.
However this time it recognised both drives:

60 gig as 57
250 gig as 139

I continued the fresh installation anyway with hope, after install in "my computer" the drive read the same (139 gig free space and 2 gig used.

What have i done wrong please, why isnt it showing the drives full size?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 01 May 06

have you installed SP2?

windows XP pre sp2 will not see full size unless:

Shows 137G not 160G or Higher
In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

woodchip 22:18 01 May 06

Yes as above 137 is the limit, it's ether a BIOS update that you need to download that covers drive size or you have not got SP2 loaded on XP or SP3 if Win2000

square eyes 22:26 01 May 06

thanks, trying it now.

square eyes 13:21 02 May 06

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/
but it didnt work, i followed you instruction to the letter, in "my computer" it still reads 126 gig for a 250 gig HDD. Were there any mis-spellings?
I continued with the installation and set everything up the way i like it, i hope im not gonna have to reinstall again???

It read the full size prior to the install when runnung it as slave

phil46 13:31 02 May 06

How is your computer? you might have to flash the bios,i still have an old HP Brio but it it would never work with a 250gb drive as i was unable to flash the bios as there was nothing pre 2000.

phil46 13:33 02 May 06

Sorry should have read How old is your computer.

square eyes 13:42 02 May 06

it has a 3 year old bios, would i have to go back to setup and delete a partition?

woodchip 15:39 02 May 06

As I posted above you need to download the latest BIOS and Flash software, so you can flash the BIOS to get the full access to the disc. The Flash update should say that it deals with this problem for bigger disc's. If it does not then I would not try Flashing the BIOS as there are inherent dangers in doing the Flash upgrade. As it can render you motherboard unusable if it goes wrong.

square eyes 16:07 02 May 06

Hi wood chip, the bios is 2003 edition, here is the page of my mobo bios (a7v333)
click here

It doesnt list the fixes as far as i can see.
I tried the maxblaster software but that wasnt enabling me to install/partition a HDD installed as master/boot.

There was even a patch click here=#

They claimed would update the regisrty for me but that failed too. I will update the bios if i need to.
Im only checking the size in "my computer" at the moment.

I can see me having to reinstall again, please tell me that wont happen :-/

square eyes 16:39 02 May 06

ive just discovered disc management where i can add a partition, is this advisable?
I would rather have the drive as 1 partition though.
When you setup windows how are you supposed to install the maxblaster software before hand?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…