New HDD setup/install in laptop

Pamy 19:14 03 Jan 04

Hi,
can anyone advise me how to setup and install a new HDD in a laptop.(toshiba Tecra 700ct)
My original drive has passed away and I have obtained a replacement, but when I booted up I got the following message...Invalid system disk, replace disk and press any key to continue.

I understand like any new disk it neads to be formatted and the windows operating system installed, so what I nead to know is ..How do I Do It?
Thanks in advance, Pamy

Big Elf 19:22 03 Jan 04

As you've guessed the drive needs formatting. Do you have a boot floppy disk and the Windows installation CD? Depending on your OS you can download a boot disk from click here

Big Elf 19:46 03 Jan 04

I've just recalled then when I replaced a hard drive in an old laptop I had to use the fdisk c: command first. Also the full size of the new drive may not be recognised in the BIOS.

Pamy 21:45 03 Jan 04

thanks for quick repy. No I do not have a boot disk but I do have the windows installation disk.

When I first turn on the computer what should I do?
Should the boot up disk be in the floppy drive before swiching on ,or do I insert it after I get the message mentioned?

My original disk was 1.2 Mb the new one is 4Mb.so hopefully the bios will recognise it or at least 1.2Mb.

Pamy

Big Elf 21:58 03 Jan 04

Unless you have a later version of Windows that boot from CD then you need the boot floppy disk which should be in the drive before switching on. With luck the BIOS will recognise the new size (fingers crossed).

Pamy 22:25 03 Jan 04

Once again thanks for advise. Will get boot disk and keep fingers crossed.
Pamy

Big Elf 22:30 03 Jan 04

This might help. Although it's for Win98 it will help with (some) other Windows OS's as well click here

Also if you enter 'formatting a hard disk' into Google you'll get a lot of sites that will give step by step advice.

Pamy 17:43 04 Jan 04

Thanks agian for your help. Fdisked, Formated and win98 installed OK

4Mb recognised, fingers now uncrossed.

Pamy

Big Elf 18:18 04 Jan 04

Good news!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…