New HDD - Possible activation issues with WinXP?

Alan2 20:35 29 Jul 03

With the aid of Drive Image I am about to copy the contents of what may be a failing HDD to a new one.

When I've altered the jumper setting to reverse the status of the drives and boot up the new one will I have problems with WinXP and OfficeXP which have been activated on the old C drive?

Alan.

powerless 20:38 29 Jul 03

Only way to know is to try.

But as its only one HW change do not worry.

click here

dth 20:42 29 Jul 03

Shouldn't be a problem. Even if you have to re-activate - it can usually be done over the internet. With re-formating my hard drive and making changes to my system I must have re-activated about 10 times since last year. Never had a problem.

DieSse 20:48 29 Jul 03

I have done loads of re-activations - never ever had a problem, even when doing them by 'phone.

Alan2 20:54 29 Jul 03

Rights guys - thanks for the responses, I've been reading the MS blurb referenced by Powerless and it confirms all your views that there'll be no problems. Right?

I'll do it all tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Alan.

The Sack 21:36 29 Jul 03

There is not a single part of the PC left that i originaly installed XP on to, i did however have to ring uncle Bill up at one point as XP said no chance but after i explained i was a serial upgrader they gave me an unlock code.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…