New HDD - Have I stretched too Far

The Paul 12:06 08 May 07

I am trying to install a bigger HDD (160GB) to an old machine and set it as Master. The machine currently has a 10GB HDD and is crammed.

When I initially installed the HDD as a slave XP recognised its existence and showed the New Hardware window with the make and model and off it went with a message - Ready to use. When I go into have a look in Hardware Manager its there okay but I cannot see it anywhere else. Its not showing in My Computer or anywhere. I have it on the same ribbon (middle not end) as the original HDD.

The BIOS is from a 2001 upgrade and the MoBo is a First International Computers AD11. The machine has XP2 S2 on it.

I bought the HDD on eBay and it came without any software etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

scotty 12:13 08 May 07

Has the drive been formatted?

Gongoozler 12:16 08 May 07

Try going through Start - run - diskmgmt.msc. If the disk is there you may still have to format it.

The Paul 13:19 08 May 07

Cheers folks

scotty - not sure how I do a format to a drive I cannot see. Any thoughts

Gongoozler - did that and it initialised the disk - calling it Disk 1 and it now shows in the Disk Management window as

Disk 1
Dynamic
149.05 GB

and then

inside the disk space it states that it is Unallocated.

fitshase 13:32 08 May 07

Right click in the disk space where it says Unallocated and select format...

Follow the instructions.

*** make sure you select the new drive and not the current 10GB drive! ***

The Paul 13:38 08 May 07

Cheers fitshase

there is no option to format. Only options are

New Volume
Properties
Help

Gongoozler 14:41 08 May 07

Try clicking on the drive, then in the menu select "Action" - "All tasks" - "Format".

HappyTrucker 14:44 08 May 07

I think you need to create a 'New Volume' first, then you can format that.

Diemmess 14:52 08 May 07

More than one manufacturer has downloadable floppy sized software to do all this for you.

If the new HD is Western Digital then you can download "Disk copy"from their support site. This has facilities to Format or Partition and even a rudimentary but effective way of copying everything from one disk to the other.

Maxtor has a similar download.

The downloaded file has to be copied to a floppy or a CD and then the computer is booted using that disk and just following the prompts.

rodriguez 14:53 08 May 07

Try New Volume, before a disk can be formatted it needs a partition table and I think clicking New Volume will create one (I haven't used Disk Management for a while so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

rodriguez 14:55 08 May 07

Also when you format it, format it in NTFS not FAT32.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced