New HDD to be master advice

gcook 19:59 15 Feb 07

I am looking for some advice on buying a new internal hard drive please. I have an Asus P4B533-V motherboard with an 80GB hard drive fitted. I dont know the make but its an ATA100.

I am wanting to buy a new drive of 160GB capacity and make it the master and my current drive the slave.

I have been looking on Ebuyer item no. 120286, a Maxtor 160GB. It doesnt seem to have much info about it. Will this be compatible with my setup first of all? The reason I was thinking about Maxtor is because they have a program called MaxBlast making it easy?? to install and copy my current drive to the new one and make it a master.

Opinions please. Ive done a bit of research myself but wouldnt mind checking with some of yous first.

Thanks in advance!

brundle 20:05 15 Feb 07

Looks good for the money, last time I bought an 80gb it was that price. It's an OEM so it won't come with the software you mention, easily downloaded though; click here

Maxtor are owned by Seagate.

gcook 20:15 15 Feb 07

Thanks Brundle, they are getting so cheap these days. Ill download the program prior to buying the drive. Are Maxtor as good as any for the price?

citadel 20:15 15 Feb 07

get the retail boxed version and the sofware gives you options of what you want to do with the drive, you can choose the new drive for master and the old drive as storage. I used seagate and it copied all over to the new drive ok, I expect maxtor works the same. the software prints instructios before you start.

gcook 20:34 15 Feb 07

Is the software different in the retail version citadel? I thought you could choose from the downloaded version? Dont fancy spending extra unless I have to!

Ashrich 21:51 15 Feb 07

Software is the same , downloaded it and used it the other day .

Ashley

woodchip 22:10 15 Feb 07

You better using ether Windows setup disc or if XP the XP CD,to set the drive up. Or you could use Acronis True Image. Maxblast uses a Software other than NTFS etc and can be a problem if you have problems with windows not loading later

gcook 14:21 16 Feb 07

I have decided to go ahead and order the Maxtor drive. However Im not sure what you mean exactly woodchip. Does MaxBlast install a different file system other than NTFS? I notice from the FAQs on the maxblast homepage that you can convert it from FAT32 to an NFTS system easily, is that right?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:29 16 Feb 07

I use maxblast3 on my old PC to copy the whole of C: drive to another HDD as a backup.

Swapped jumpers on drive and it booted without any problems

ed-0 14:32 16 Feb 07

" Does MaxBlast install a different file system other than NTFS? "

just FAT32.

" I notice from the FAQs on the maxblast homepage that you can convert it from FAT32 to an NFTS system easily, is that right? "

Yes. thats right.

gcook 14:35 16 Feb 07

Thats exactly what I want to do Fruit Bat. Is it easy to do? Do you simply plug the HDD in turn on your PC and run MaxBlast? Do you have to fo into the BIOS and install the drive first of anything? Sorry but Im a bit of a novice when it comes to this! I have looked at the instructions on the Seagate web page but they are not very clear.

Is the file system in the correct NTFS format?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…