New HDD for Acer Laptop won't install windows

JustinRead 22:46 27 Dec 14

My HDD has failed and I have tried to replace it, but the BIOS doesn't seem to interact with the new HDD. I don't have anykind of back up of Windows 7 so I downloaded a bootable version onto a USB memory stick. This goes through the process of installing windows and formatting the new hard drive, but I then get an error message stating that windows cannot be installed onto the disk. If goes on to say that the computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk and ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS. I see nothing in the BIOS to enable the disk's controller. Is there anything else I can do? The computer is an Acer Aspire 5745DG with a no intel core i3-370m processor. I don't know much about the hard drive, but it was sold as a replacement for this computer model.

Jollyjohn 10:50 28 Dec 14

Good Morning

When you go into the BIOS I assume the new drive is listed and identified correctly? If so then it is a setting - i-the drive needs to be set as either IDE or AHCI - but not RAID.

Have a look at this - click here and also Google AHCI settings for more info.

Let me know if this helps, if it doesn't then let me know what options are available in the BIOS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 28 Dec 14

REmove and refit the drive to remake the connections.

Boot to BIOS and check the disk is identified and is set as second boot device after USB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant