new hdd

FRANKMAC 22:14 05 Aug 03

i currently have 2 hdd (c & d/e), 1 floppy drive(a) and a cd writer (f) - the 2 hdd's are on IDE 1, the cd writer is on IDE 2, the floppy on IDE3 - i wish to add another hdd - would it be ok to add the 3rd hdd to IDE 2 with the cd drive ? which one would be primary /slave etc? and how would i maintain the cd drive as (f)and have the new drive as (g)(if this is possible) - i am running windows xp pro - the hdd i wish to install is a used drive, should i fdisk this drive or would reformatting suffice - any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Mac

Ironman556 22:29 05 Aug 03

You should be able to slot the hdd in with the CD ROM. I'd set the CD-ROM to Master to give it the best transfer rate, and the HDD to slave.

I don't know if you'll be able to keep the drive letters as you want them. I think Windows labels HDD's before CD-ROM's, so will push all CD drives along one letter. You may be able to change the letters through the drive properties in XP, btu I'm not sure.

A reformat should do, unless you want to change from NTFS to FAT32, then you'll have to FDisk and format.

FRANKMAC 22:32 05 Aug 03

Many thanks ironman556

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…