New HD is very noisey

SB23 17:28 20 Mar 06

I have just run a Windows Defender scan on my new hard drive, and twice it seemed to have a sort of grinding sound while it was scanning. I'm hoping it was just the scan that was running that caused this noise. Otherwise everything else is fine.The pc boots alot quicker, programs start quicker. This faster drive does seem to be an improvement, but can someone tell me if this noise is normal during a scan ?

Thanks

SB23

spuds 18:10 20 Mar 06

Occasionally doing scans and similar work, your hard-drive will possible work a little harder.If there's no real concern about performance, I shouldn't worry.

Pineman100 19:05 20 Mar 06

If it's a faster drive than your old one, and it's a new noise that you're not used to, then it's probably nothing to worry about. Remember that a full scan involves very intensive disk activity, so is likely to be noisier than ordinary read and write usage.
One other thought: are you getting any resonance from the drive? If any of your mounting screws were a bit loose it might be making something in the case buzz a bit.

SB23 15:10 21 Mar 06

Already thought of that one. All the screws are tight and secure.
Another thing I would mention is the fact that there was a rubber sleeve on the old drive. I couldn't put it on the new drive as the case was more square than the one I took out. Added with the fact that this new drive a lot faster (old one was 5400rpm, new one is 7200rpm) I'm gonna tick as resolved.

Thanks everyone

SB23

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…