New HD & re-installing XP

phil 10:49 28 Feb 04

I've just bought a new HD (80gig) and will be installing it soon.

Just a few questions first.

Will I need to re-register XP because of the new drive?

and

What files do I need to back up to cd's. I have already tried with backing up the 'All Users' folder but it saves a load of junk with it such as internet graphics/files and thumbs files.

Also the sheer size of the All Users file stops it going onto one cd and it tells me to delete files off the cd.

In the end I gave up because after over a hour of copying a message popped up saying something like 'file name too long' and then the copying stopped.

Is there an easier way?

Nellie2 11:07 28 Feb 04

It depends what you want to save.
I have my favourites and my address book backed up. All of my documents, Downloaded programs and registration info, password info (I have a program that I put all my password information into so I have a backup of its database). I have my drivers backed up... just in case!! Also I have my email and internet connection settings recorded and backed up too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…