New hardware & XP

Tripper 08:30 18 Nov 03

I'm planning on fitting a new motherboard to my existing system. The question is whether I need to reinstall XP or not. Being basically lazy I'd rather not, but I don't want to end up with a buggy system. Can XP cope with this change and still perform?

Thoughts please from anyone who's done this before.

TECHNODIMWIT 08:39 18 Nov 03

but you will still need to reactivate XP via M/Soft. Mine wouldn`t activare on line, though the phone call was painless.

Giant68 08:39 18 Nov 03

Being in somewhat of a hurry I tried it that way once, had to reformat and load XP again after a couple of days. It does work, to a point, but keeps all the old m/b drivers and is sloooow. You could get conflicts between the old and new drivers. Bite the bullet and reload XP

dth 11:29 18 Nov 03

There is a quick and dirty way - not always 100% - but worth a go. Before you replace the motherboard delete the inf folder in the Windows directory.

Tripper 13:31 18 Nov 03

Thanks guys.

Giant, I think you have it right. It seems to fit with what I'm being told by people I know. It is just such a PAIN to install XP & then go through all my progs to get them running again.

LOL. Oh well, know what I'm doing over the next month!

Stuartli 14:56 18 Nov 03

I recently acquired a Mesh system for an elderly friend - the activation process didn't involve any phone calls, merely doing it on the system itself.

Legolas 15:57 18 Nov 03

You could try doing a repair of XP rather than a format and reinstall, also I would boot into XP and back up your system before doing a format if that is what you decide to do.

It would be worth booting into XP if you can and running it and if you get no problems then fine, if you start to get trouble you can then do the clean install.

pcgal 16:06 18 Nov 03

Well I disagree with everyone......tripper before stripping ya data follow these simple steps and trust me it works .....I change mobos running with xp all the time.
Go to device manager and uninstall every darn driver there is to uninstall.

Do not restart system at any stage!

Now hopefully u have norton ghost and u know how to create an image of your drive.I simply ghost the image of the drive with all the drivers uninstalled so u can then copy the image back and restart....obviously have your new system board disc handy and away u go!!!

pcgal 16:11 18 Nov 03

9 out of 10 times u can simply shutdown after uninstalling all the drivers and just re-connect your new drive ......the screen might go blank for about 10 minutes but dont worry just let it do its thing.

I ghost the drive so I dont lose important data if the drive becomes corrupted performing the above task. this happens very rarely.

hope this helps and its a lot less painful than installing everything!!!!!!!!

pcgal 16:13 18 Nov 03

ps..sorry reconnect old drive not new drive

Tripper 16:38 18 Nov 03

Well pcgal,

I'll have a piece of that! (Yep, got ghost)

It makes sense to me. The thought of reinstalling all my progs doesn't bear thinking about!

LOL If you haven't heard from me by the weekend then you know who was right!

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…