New hardware modem PMI-IV56 V92 win98se

seedie 11:59 20 May 04

Just got this from DABS this morning. Installed ok but speed shows as 28,800 bps on two different ISPs. can't get it higher tho' does seem to be quite fast. previous soft modem could show 40,000+ no problem.

Any views/thoughts please?

Thanks

CD

Stuartli 12:46 20 May 04

Seems others have similar gripes:

click here

Some help:

click here

click here

seedie 13:02 20 May 04

this looks like a case of being wise after the event. Ging to let it ride for a while

CD

Stuartli 13:12 20 May 04

You could send it back as not being fit for its purpose.

Best to get modems with a Rockwell (now owned by Coxanent) chipset, plus ensuring it's a proper hardware PCI type.

Only other thing is to ask whether your ISPs are V92 equipped?

Stuartli 13:27 20 May 04

My Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro has happily progressed from Windows98 and 98SE to XP with the aid of driver updates and never missed a beat in that time.

One supplier:

click here

and another for the same modem as mine (drivers at click here - the model number for driver purposes of mine is SUP 2560)

You may even find Diamond modems sold under the SonicBlue logo as the company took over Diamond; later it became the turn of Best Data Products to acquire the brand.

seedie 16:53 20 May 04

I RTFM and uninstalled the thing and put it back in again. by default it selects COM4 but I changed that to COM3 and so far things seem to be hunkydory. I think the speed shown on the task bar shows little resemblence to the actual transfer rate so leaving it for the moment.

Thanks Stuart

CD

seedie 16:54 20 May 04

I RTFM and uninstalled the thing and put it back in again. by default it selects COM4 but I changed that to COM3 and so far things seem to be hunkydory. I think the speed shown on the task bar shows little resemblence to the actual transfer rate so leaving it for the moment.

Thanks Stuart

CD

Stuartli 17:10 20 May 04

But Windows should automtically assign ports, IRQs etc..:-)

Stuartli 09:47 21 May 04

If you go to:

click here

and click on the Speed button on the lefthand menu, a new page will open.

Scroll down to DUN and DTE speeds and follow the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…