New hardware instal fails to find drivers

Newuser276 10:01 14 Aug 03

PC with Windows ME. When instaling new hardware, system searches for drivers and frequently fails to find them, apparently because it is looking in the directory. For example, I was installing a USB linked magnetic card reader and the following message appeared in a window headed 'New Hardware Found'.

"File USBNTMAP.SYS was not found

Windows needs the disk labelled Windows Millenium Edition to continue. This disk may be provided by your computer or device manufacturer.

Copy files from

C:|Program files\Creative\....."

If I then use the browse button to point the system at C:\Windows\system32\driversit sometimes works, and anyway the files it is looking for are invariably some within the Windows directory.

Is there any way I can get the system to look in the right place automatically in stead of looking in the Creative soundblaster directory for a standard Windows ME driver??!!??

Any help will be gratefully received.

MJ

hugh-265156 10:23 14 Aug 03

sorry i dont know why its not working.

i would download them from the manufacturers website that way you will get the latest version of the driver.the ones on the disc will be out of date.

hugh-265156 10:24 14 Aug 03
  Jester2K II 10:28 14 Aug 03

What happens when you put your Me Disk in the CD ROM Drive and then point it at that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…