new hardrive problem

alan_blue 19:33 07 Feb 03

i have a new seagate barracuda 60 gig hardrive.I have followed the instructions in the seagate program to the letter and i am still unable to get it to work. I have checked the jumpers are correct.also the connections.But still no luck.How can I tell if the drive is faulty .

Diemmess 19:39 07 Feb 03

Do the instructions explain that you need to FDISK and FORMAT the new drive first?

I hope this isn't patronising but.........In building terms you have a new building with plumbing and heating but no internal divisions or indication of where to put anything...... FDISK defines the limits of your Data Storage and FORMAT sets up all the pigeon holes

woodchip 19:45 07 Feb 03

You also need to go into CMOS to detect the drive and exit saving settings

cream. 20:03 07 Feb 03

You must start at the beginning and then work forward.

Do as woody suggests, is it recognized in the bios?

You can even tell if you don't want to enter cmos.

When it has checked the ram and starts to say about the primary master\slave secondary master\slave is it shown there?

When you have answered this question, you will be able to proceed in one direction or another.

Jane doe 20:06 07 Feb 03

Im not that technical but I have just replaced 18 Fuji hard drives with Seagate Barracudas. This was as a result of the excellent technical advice I got in here regarding failing Fuji Hard drives. This is how I did it. Set pins to Cable Select. Attach drive inside case. Boot into cmos and select detect all drives'. Except for one AMD 2200 which had Auto as the default option. Then FDisk and Format. Then install software. If it can be recognised in cmos it should be OK. I didn't have much luck with the Seagate disc that came with them and I did have one faulty one that could not be recognised at all in Cmos but PC World changed it no probs. They were all 'Brown Box' items. Hope this is of use.

alan_blue 21:14 07 Feb 03

Thanks for your support.It is recognised in the bios as primary slave, so how do I go to fdisk when it isn't showing a drive letter.

cream. 21:58 07 Feb 03

What we need now is what operating system you are using.

For 98+me

Ok so it is recognized in the bios.

Are you sure it is not showing in windows, my computer. Or is there a unfamiliar drive there that says no bytes when you click it.

For X\P

start--------right click my computer-----manage---------disk management. Is it shown there.

Answer these questions and we will tell you if you have to fdisk.

Jane doe 22:05 07 Feb 03

To clarify. The drives I fitted were all masters and Fdisk and format came up when I installed Win98sr and booted from floppy. If yours is a slave drive then the Seagate wizard disc should do it for you I think. I was given one when I bought the drives but you can download one from Seagate site.

woodchip 22:31 07 Feb 03

Get Partition Magic it will make it easy for you

alan_blue 23:01 07 Feb 03

It is 98se and i downloaded the wizard disk tried it , and i am still getting nowhere .Surely the seagate disk wizard is the equivalent of partition magic,and is designed especialy for seagate drives.How do i get into cmos ,is this different from bios.Thanks for all your help,i must be a right idiot as it apears to be quite a simple process,but it's got me beat.

alan_blue 23:07 07 Feb 03

it is not shown in windows explorer or my computer this is why i can't format or partition in fdisk.only my original hard disk is shown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…