New Hardrive - Lost internet connection

jsjr44 15:17 14 Aug 06

My hardive has left me after repeated attempts to be saved. Installed XP Pro on desktop. Was all set up for wireless connection. Needed internet to reinstall software for linksys wireless router and card. Removed wireless card and recinstalled network adapter card. Now I cannot connect to the internet. Tried everything. Any ideas? Help!

ade.h 16:59 14 Aug 06

I'm confused by one of your comments: routers do not *have* software and PCI LAN cards do not *need* software. None of the Linksys routers that I have ever used came with software.

I need more information about the process that you are using to attempt to establish a connection and the things that you have done to configure the PC for a network connection before I can advise you further.

jsjr44 17:10 14 Aug 06

I had a linksys wireless card in my desktop. When I first set this up, I needed to go online through my comcast connection and add the software for the wireless card before installing. That worked fine. This weekend my hardrive crashed. Bought new hardrive, installed Windows XP Pro. Removed wireless card and tried to plug into modem through my comcast setup and it says no network connection available. I have a second desktop set up that was not wireless, plugged comcast cable in and that works fine. Sorry for the confusion.Thank You in advance for your response.

ade.h 17:14 14 Aug 06

Installing a network adapter uses the same procedure as any other PnP hardware:

1) Have the correct driver stored somewhere where you can navigate to it easily, such as on the desktop.

2) Shut down. Insert the PCI card. Boot up.

3) When the New Hardware Found wizard runs, point it to your chosen driver and let it install it. Job done.

By the way: what do you mean by Comcast connection?

jsjr44 17:20 14 Aug 06

My cable plugs into my Comcast (ROUTER?) and from there plugs into my Linksys box and then onto my computers.

ade.h 17:30 14 Aug 06

"Linksys box"

So you don't have a Linksys router, then? What sort of box is it?

jsjr44 18:41 14 Aug 06

Linksys Router. Brought computer back to my office to try and fix.

ade.h 19:02 14 Aug 06

This is getting more and more unclear. If this Comcast device is a router as you claim, why are you trying to connect a router to another router?

jsjr44 19:21 14 Aug 06

My cable comes in to the house and connects to a motorala surfboardd . This was provided by Comcast to connect to the internet.I have three computers. My cable from the Motorala surfboard then plugs into the Linksys Router. From there I have two other computers plugged in. They are working fine. The computer that is not working is downstairs. This had a wireless network card. Before installing this wireless card you need to have an active internet connecton.(This is how I set it up the first time.)I installed the software for the wireless card. Installed card an I was online. I tried to do everything the same upon installing my new hardrive. I removed the wireless card. Plugged into my modem and have no connection. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this sounds more accurate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac