New hardrive as full backup??

bri-an 13:56 04 Jan 05

I'm hoping to install a 2nd hard drive, 80Gb, to my 20Gb system, for camcorder use. However, I would like to, also, have a full backup, and I think I have read somewhere that you can produce a full system backup by making the new drive the 'master', so that the 'slave' drive (my original 20Gb harddrive) is then the system backup. Is it really that simple? Can anyone tell me if this correct, and explain what I should actually do to achieve this result. As a novice any replies as non-tech as possible would be appreciated. Thanks

mattyc_92 14:47 04 Jan 05

If you want windows installed onto the new drive, set it as "master" and the other as "slave"... Then just buy a program like "Norton Ghost" or "Acronis True Image" to backup the system.... Also you may want to "partition" the drive set as "slave", so that you can have some of the space for the system backup and the rest for other use!!!!

bri-an 15:10 04 Jan 05

Sorry, but your reply has caused me even more confusion than I had, mattyc-92 !
Obviously I had misread the article - as it seemed to say that simply using a 2nd harddrive (if you were fitting one, anyway) was an easier way than having to go and get Acronis etc. to backup - but obviously I am wrong - as usual for me! Thanks anyway.

€dstowe 15:19 04 Jan 05

Your "camcorder use" will be best served by its own hard drive as you intimated first off.

Video work takes huge amounts of hard drive space and, Windows being as untidy as it is, there will be files spread all over the place. You may find as well that you may have to reformat fairly frequently as file residues mess up your work and form artefacts such that you have lip-sync problems and other undesirable effects.

Note that the huge amounts of drive space taken up during video processing is recovered at the end of your project.

By all means partition your new drive to accept a backup file but don't use it as your prime drive with the old one as backup. If you install Acronis TI, this can create a reserved hidden partition for you on a drive of your choice.

pj123 15:20 04 Jan 05

Depending on your operating system download free xxcopy from click here for Windows 98SE or xxclone from click here for Win XP.

Install your new drive as slave, partition it if you want to and then format all partitions.

Now run xxcopy or xxclone whichever is relevant.

Tog_ 15:29 04 Jan 05

You don't need to buy a programme to create a useable copy of your main disk. As long as your second drive is the same or larger than the original you can use this utility click here

Tog_ 15:30 04 Jan 05

oops, too slow

Rogerfredo 16:53 04 Jan 05

You would definitely be better off in using the new, larger drive as a slave and leaving your operating system on your present drive.
You can then use the larger drive for video etc.
I suggest you buy a good "image" backup program like "Drive Image 7". This is now being sold as Norton Ghost, but you can still get the old prog at a good price from Amazon. This will backup everything you want and also compress the image if necessary, to the second larger drive.

bri-an 17:10 04 Jan 05

Thanks again for all this input, things are becoming clearer, I think!!

mattyc_92 17:28 04 Jan 05

bri-an, i am saying that your new drive will only have to be set as "master" if you want windows to install onto it, otherwise you set the new drive as "slave"...

If you want to backup your system, then the programs I have suggested (Ghost and True Image) are ideal to do this... If you "partition" your hard-disk that is set as slave, then you can use a partition specailly for backing up your system and restrict access to it for more protection!!!!

GroupFC 21:57 04 Jan 05

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…