NEW HARD_DRIVE, BUT END UP WITH TWO PARTITIONS

eutrucker 11:32 27 Nov 04

BOUGHT NEW 40G H-DRIVE TO REPLACE FAULTY 20G FOR MY TOSH LAPTOP, EVEN THOUGH DIFFRENT MAKE AND FASTER SPIN SPEED ALL WORKS GREAT,BUT! FOR SOME REASON WHEN I INSTALLED WINDOWS BACK ON FROM THE ORIGINAL DISC IT LOADED ONTO THE WHOLE 40G BUT FORMATTED MY DISC INTO TWO EQUAL PARTITIONS.OF 20G (C) & (D)NOW ON THE (C)I HAVE MANAGED TO CHANGE TO NTFS FORMATT BUT WONT LET ME DO IT ON THE (D)HOW CAN I CHANGE THE (D) TO NTFS OR IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE DISC TO ONE WHOLE 40G.

bremner 12:05 27 Nov 04

How did you load the old HDD onto the new one.

I am guessing until you say otherwise but if you have used Ghost or similar it has taken the 20GB partition in its entirity hence why it has used just 20GB of the new drive and shown the remainder as another partition.

ps

In case you don't know uppercase is considered shouting and is not used unless to make a point or emphasise something - it is also harder to read in any event.

eutrucker 12:40 27 Nov 04

I did not use any third party software, only the original tosh disc with windows on it.

bremner 12:45 27 Nov 04

I would think that it is an image of a 20GB partition.

You could use something like Partition Magic to get it back to one 40GB drive if you wanted - many like having partitions. Programs on one - files on another for example.

As for formatting to NTFS. Have you looked at the partition in Disk management and see what it's state is. If you have no data on it then simply reformat it to NTFS there.

eutrucker 13:01 27 Nov 04

Thats the problem, windows has loaded across the 40G as one , but when you look at both partitions C is NTFS and D is FAT32, i have tried to convert but wont have it.

bremner 13:11 27 Nov 04

It is probably me but I am a little confused.

You say windows has loaded across the whole 40Gb -
What folder/files do you have on the D partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…