New hard drive and win Xp

Seadog 10:20 19 Feb 04

At present, I have two 40Gb hard drives on my computer, the second is partitioned and I use it mainly for back-ups and photo/movie storage.
I would like to fit new drives as the old ones are just that, old! If I fitted, say one 80Gb drive and one 60Gb (I want to keep two drives and not just partition one huge drive) how do I go about re-installing Win Xp home on the main drive?
Can I use my original (full version) win Xp disc and just do the same as I did with win 98se or will there be problems with the licence/activation.
I am familiar with installing everything from scratch but not sure about this win Xp licence thing!
Will I have to buy another copy of win Xp? Any help and advice will be appreciated.

bremner 10:48 19 Feb 04

You will be required to activate XP but you are not in breach of the EULA.

It may!! activate on line but worse case scenario and it doesn't a quick call to MS and they will after you explain the upgrade, give you an activation code.

Mike574 10:49 19 Feb 04

Your current XP disc will be fine to install on a new hard drive and you should have no problems activating it. The worst that could happen is that you might have to activate your OS over the phone depending on how long ago you first activated it. I was in a similar position when my main hdd died on me and I had to put XP on my spare/2nd hdd. Microsoft were fine with this when I activated it over the phone once I told them it was still on the original computer. Hope this helps

Seadog 14:44 19 Feb 04

Thanks very much chaps, nice to know M$ is not after screwing more money out of people!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…