New hard drive very noisy

anchor 13:08 08 May 03

I have just had a new hard drive fitted as a replacement. It works fine, BUT it is so noisy.

The old one was almost inaudible, but the new one constantly makes a quite loud "chattering" sound when the PC is active. This is rather distracting and annoying. I have owned various computers over the years, and come into contact with many more, but this is certainly the loudest.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Diemmess 13:27 08 May 03

Have it replaced......Sorry

You are surely correct.... something is mechanically imperfect and will only become worse or fail altogether.

Paranoid Android 13:32 08 May 03

Most modern hards disks are very quiet, but a few of the cheaper ones are nasty. I have a 10GB Excelstor (formerly Conner) disk in one of my machines that whines like nobody's business.

MArvin.

anchor 13:34 08 May 03

Thanks for the comments. The new drive is a Maxtor, which is "supposed" to a good make.

-pops- 14:25 08 May 03

There are three Maxtor drives in this machine. It is almost whisper quiet with a zalman cooler and high quality exhaust fans.

Brian

anchor 14:34 08 May 03

I managed to find the UK support number for Maxtor, (in Ireland), and they said that it sounds that the drive is defective.

I have contacted Evesham, (who fitted it), and they are returning on Monday next to change the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017