New Hard Drive Reformatting - partition Help

Coldstar12 16:04 27 Jan 15

Hi, i just got a new WD HDD and ive loaded a new Version of Windows 7, i was told i should reformat the drive as soon as i can, now ive read thru a few things about Partitioning the drive before i can reformat it, the only problem is the drive seems to already be Partitioned.

On the Disk Management Menu it shows my Drive listed as "Disk 0" and has 2 partitons, one thats called "System Reserved" and one thats called (C:)

It was never in "Unallocated" either.

Now what i would like to know is do i need to Partiton this again to be able to reformat and do i even need to reformat at this point. Thank you

Jollyjohn 16:12 27 Jan 15

If your system is working then you do not need to re format the drive.

Do not remove the System reserved partition - this is your recovery partition.

In Disk Management you should have the option to "Shrink Volume" - This would let you shrink C:
Then you will have an Unallocated section in which you can create a new partition.

I would do this and then Google for "Move my documents folders to another drive." This is an easy process and would move all your data to the new partition. This gives a measure of protection for your data should you need to re install windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 27 Jan 15

System reserve is not for a recovery partition see what its is for here

Now you have windows working as you want it make a system image using something like Macrium Reflect its a lot quicker than reinstall windows every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…