New hard drive to put in, is it so easy ?

Giantsquid 21:52 06 Apr 05

Hi All,

I don't wish to format my hard drive but use it in another computer.
I have bought a 260 GB new hard drive and want to put it in this machine as I am in the process of adding more memory and a new graphics card to give this comp a new lease of life.

Is it a straightforward job installing a new hard drive ? is it a case of taking out the old one putting in the new one and the computer should recognise it ? then prompt me to put in my windows XP cd and it will put the operating system on for me ?

Thanks for any help,

Night Ryder 21:55 06 Apr 05

You will have to prepare the drive first before it will work and be recognised by an PO system.
You must partition and format it before you can install the PO system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 06 Apr 05

Replace a HDD
click here

Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here

harps1h 22:00 06 Apr 05

when you install your new drive make sure you put in the xp disk and it will ask you do you want to create a partition click yes and follow the instructions.

as for the other disk unless the motherboard of the other comp is the same model then it is recommended that the drive is formatted as the drivers for the new mobo will conflict with the old mobo drivers

Night Ryder 22:03 06 Apr 05

This is one way yop can prepare the drive. Remove the old drive and replace it with the new one after setting the jumper position on the new drive to master. You will now need a bootable floppy disk (one may have been supplied with your new drive) which has the program "fdisk".
In the DOS window type fdisk. Once fdisk is rumming you must first create a partition on your new hard drive and set this partition to active. You should reboot the computer with the floppy disk still in its drive then run the format comand on the C drive.

DieSse 22:04 06 Apr 05

260Gb drives are still very large by the standard of all but newer computers.

You may be OK, but there may be an issue with the size of the drive not being recognised. The motherboard BIOS is a factor in all this, as is the version of XP that you have on CD.

If you have any problems, please ask again, as there will likely be ways to solve any problems.

Giantsquid 22:18 06 Apr 05

Not got a floppy disc drive !

Giantsquid 22:22 06 Apr 05

Sounds ok to me, do I boot up with cd in drive or await a prompt after HD is recognised ?

Thanks,

DieSse 22:25 06 Apr 05

You do not need to partition of format the drive first. The XP CD will offer to do both for you when you boot up from it - and you should use it in preference to other methods, as

1 - It gives you the chance to use NTFS, which you should use

2 - Even if you choose to use FAT32 (which you shouldn't, otherwise the CD will limit your partition size to 32Gb) - the versios of FDisk and Format are the latest versions - some older versions of FDisk will not work correctly on large drives.

DieSse 22:26 06 Apr 05

Yes - boot up with the XP CD already in.

Giantsquid 22:28 06 Apr 05

Comp is an Aldi(Medion) machine 3 years old and is a GA-71XE slot A Mobo, AMD751/756 Chipset.

Will it be Ok ?

Thanks,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant