New Hard Drive Problem. XP won't recognise.

A-R 09:05 09 Nov 05

I am running XP pro on my system, and have just bought a new HD.

I had two HD on my system, the Primary is a Western Digital Cav 250Gb IDE 7200 8Mb. The slave drive was broken so I replaced it with a Western Digital Cav 320Gb IDE 7200 8Mb.

The jumpers are set as follows;

Primary Jumper Settings "Primary with Slave" - this has not changed as this has always been my primary with a slave attached.

Slave Jumper Settings "Slave"

The BIOS recognises the device is there, as does Windows XP Device Manager. Both show the device is working, and the Manager tells me there is nothing wrong with the device.

The problem is that XP hasn't given the drive a letter and I can't access it. If I go to My Computer or Explorer, the drive just doesn't appear anywhere there. Only the three partition drives on my primary are present.

I have installed HD's before although it has been sometime so I think I must have forgotten something really simple.

Has anyone got any ideas that might help?

ACOLYTE 09:25 09 Nov 05

Right click my computer,select manage then disk managment,highlight the drive right click and select format,when its done you should see it in my computer.

VideoSentry 12:31 09 Nov 05

If ACOLYTE's suggestion does not work change the jumpers to Cable Select.It may solve it.
Brian

billyliv 12:39 09 Nov 05

Hi, The Western Digital web site will have all you need to set up your drives properly. Cheers, Bill

A-R 18:49 11 Nov 05

Cheers Acolyte, as I said I knew I had forgotten something basic.

Cheers everyone for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…